Monday, November 14, 2005

Kinsale (or, We Are Not Wendy)


Meet Kinsale (from Fishermen's Sweaters, by Alice Starmore). I started this lovely sweater in April (I think) of 2004. The Elsebeth Lavold silky wool was a birthday gift from my parents and I was so excited to get going...but then summer arrived and I stuck this in the bin o' unfinished knits. There were more exciting, brightly colored summer things to knit! I vowed to pick Kinsale back up once fall arrived. Uh oh...we got pregnant in August and I proceeded to barf for three months. By the time I felt good enough to knit, I realized I would never fit into Kinsale in the coming months. So it stayed in the bin. Plus, there were baby items to knit, knit, knit!

Anyway, I have now resurrected Kinsale. Which is really smart, considering I have a heap of Christmas gifts to work on. Somehow the siren song of this ufo is warping my brain. Really all I need to do is finish the sleeves, attach them, and knit the collar. If my name was Wendy I could probably do that this evening. Alas, my name is "Mommy" so that's definitely not going to happen.

What I really need is some projects at other gauges to give me a break from the Christmas dress. The whole skirt portion is just mind-numbing double moss stitch on size (US) 6 needles, so I need a smaller gauge (Kinsale on 3's), and a larger gauge (some felted slippers, maybe, on 10s).

Some attempts at "artsy" Kinsale shots (note the elusive gray-green color that refuses to be captured correctly):

No comments: