Saturday, April 29, 2006

More than you wanted to know about my boring Saturday

You know those days when you just have to get out of your flippin' house, and even though you love your family desperately you just have to get away? Yeah, that was today. It was close to 70 degrees and the sun was blazing. I pondered taking Daughter to the beach (not that our Lake Erie beaches are too snazzy or anything, we're mostly talking about a strip of gravel at the water's edge), but eh, I didn't really feel like it.

So, since I've been feeling better pregnancy-wise, I decided to head out on my own. I wanted to wander around a craft shop, so I did. I got two jar candles at A.C. Moore ($3 each and they're almost as good as Yankee in my opinion) as well as some very pretty blue Patons Classic Merino to make a baby gift (my girlfriend is having her 3rd son in June). I got enough for a sweater and possibly a hat, per her request, and I was going to do a blanket as well. We'll see, because in addition I have to whip up something for my husband's co-worker, whose wife is also set to deliver in June. Does anyone know of a pretty baby blanket pattern (to knit) that's done in one piece, but is complex? I can't do a whole blanket of one repeated stitch...too boring. I need something with cables or different motifs or something.

Then I decided to mosey on to the grocery store. I haven't done the shopping in a month, and though my husband is pretty good at it, he always comes home without a few of the things on my list. Like the chewy Chips Ahoy cookies I've been asking for. Well, we've got 'em now.

I also got the cutest thing in the produce department. It's called a Salad Bouquet, and it comes in a plastic wrap like a floral bouquet, except it's various lettuces. They're organic, grown locally in greenhouses (in Ithaca, NY for those familiar with the area), and come with the root clumps still attached to the little bunches of greens. And they were only $1.99! I'm a sucker for clever packaging and display, so I had to get one. And it's delicious. I would have taken a photo but thought my husband would find that rather strange.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go inhale some cappucino chip ice cream. The baby wants some.

2 comments:

hoov said...

i have relatives in Buffalo! they actually live in sacketts harbor now, but my great grandpa and great grandma lived there for about sixty years i think. i've been to buffalo once every year of my life (16 years). it's a neat city, but too cold for me =)

kate said...

I'm so curious how you found me, hoovah...and bah, it's only cold for like, 8 months of the year. The rest is great!