Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A buncha stuff

I am happy to say that the snow stopped before any could accumulate yesterday. And today temps are supposed to return to a somewhat seasonal 60-ish. It's not often we get snow quite this late in the season, and I think that's the last of it. This morning the sun is shining for all its worth and the rabbits and squirrels and birds are romping around outside...it's like that Disney movie, you know, the one they don't show anymore because it's racist. The one with Zippety-doo-dah. Song of the South? Is that what it's called? I know I saw it once when I was a little kid. Anyway, the point is that it's a beautiful day! Zippety-doo-dah!

It's also a beautiful day because...24 hours have passed with no bleeding. People, this feels like a miracle. Please, oh please, let it be over.


And, the babe has announced his or her presence to me via somersaults or something. I thought I felt movement a couple of days ago, but told myself it was too soon to tell, it must be gas, etc. But last night I was sitting here quietly and felt that unmistakable burble of baby kickage. Hallelujah. This baby can beat me up all it wants, as long as it's ok in there.

My only real 'problem' now (which is not really so much a problem) is that I have just about outgrown all my regular pants, but my maternity clothes still fall down. I'm not sure if I should order
a bella band or just make do for now. Last time I took a wide piece of elastic (like 1") and cut a buttonhole in one end and sewed a button to the other. That's how I fastened my pants during the in-between. I'm not sure it's worth the $25 for the band. Plus, my nose is really stuffy and my knees hurt. Wah wah boo hoo.

Mmmmm-kay, enough baby talk. I also have to report on my sockapaloooza socks - this is a crafty blog after all. Here they are in all their finished glory:


still life with socks and unshaved legs


first sock...some weird pooling


second sock...more weird pooling

Now I just have to get a Buffalo postcard and some fun stuff to put in the package, and these can wing their way across the country. Oh, and they will be washed and blocked first! I'm just hoping these will fit my sock pal...she wears the same shoe size I do, so I made them to fit my feet. You know, I was just thinking that I don't even know where to get a postcard featuring my fair city. I've never bought one before because I live here...huh. Maybe a bookstore?

Here's a tangent about that - we don't have any bookstores here. No, I'm serious! The area where we live is rather "blue collar," if you will. We're really close to all the old steel mills and this has always been a very working-class area (except for the gorgeous lake front mansions where all the steel barons lived). We have lots of other stuff, but not one single Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. I guess the bookstore companies believe people who work in factories don't read books. I'm not even sure there's a Waldenbooks in the mall or anything. It's depressing! I'll have to go to the ritzy "white collar" suburb where our parents live to hit a bookstore. SAD!! Luckily my OB is out there so I'll be in the area on Friday. I'll have to stop in to the B&N to seek postcards.

End tangent. Hope you're all having as beautiful a day as we are!

3 comments:

Staci said...

You could check at your gas station, if you're near a highway especially, as they often have a collection of local postcards for people just passing through. Cheapo tip, I realize, but might save you a trip. Of course, I love B&N, so I take any opportunity to go there.

Thanks for your comment this morning. I totally agree that this is the birthday to miss if one has to be missed at all. We'll see what happens now that I left my boss a rambling, mostly incoherent vmail this morning explaining the situation.

I'm glad you're feeling (a) fairly normal pregnancy aches and pains - they can actually be a good sign of a healthy pregnancy (I always had the stuffy nose, too); (b) baby movements! Hooray!

Jenn said...

Yeah - I can get postcards at B&N - so sorry you don't have one nearby!
I'm a SO glad to hear that you are feeling better and your sockpal socks look great! My Knitpicks sock yarn did the same weird pooling thing too, but I don't mind.

Anonymous said...

Wal-Marts usually tend to have a "souvineer section" where you can get the cheap cups, magnets, and postcards sporting your state name. To be honest, I usually stop at a truck stop to get a state magnet when I am traveling (I collect them for my fridge)

Oh, and the bella band was invented because a pregnant woman was using a tube top to keep her pants up. Since you say you live in a blue collar neighborhood, is there a chance they are selling tube tops?

Congrats on the no bleeding, I will continue to send energy your way.