Thursday, June 01, 2006

craftiness

Today is one of those days...when you look at the clock and realize it's almost 3 pm and you're still in your pajamas. And also? The only thing that's been accomplished is feeding & bathing the kid and making the beds.

My excuse is that I feel like a drunk, wet noodle today. Drunk due to lack of sleep - I had a major panic attack around midnight as I thought about my upcoming operation, so there was much sobbing and sniffling. I finally drifted to sleep sometime between 2 and 3 am. I do all right in the daylight hours when I can be busy and occupied with taking care of Daughter, but in the wee hours all I can do is imagine terrible outcomes of this stupid surgery. Anyway, I feel like a wet noodle because today's weather can only be described as "tropical." It's not that hot (in the 70s) but there has been rain on and off and it feels mighty sticky. On the plus side my plants are growing like gangbusters.


Right now I need to go shower, clean the bathroom (mmmm...nothing sounds better than scrubbing the toilet in tropical weather), clean out the fridge, get dinner started, and begin working on the mountain of ironing so Hub doesn't have to wear jeans and a t-shirt to work tomorrow.

What I would rather be doing:

more dresses for Daughter


adorable knits for the new babe


like this little get-up


and this one...love!!

A question for the knitters - do any of you have a favorite baby yarn for fingering weight projects? I know a lot of people skip the patterns calling for such fine yarns but they're my favorites to make. Is Knitpicks Palette** scratchy? Too fine? I'm looking for about 7 st. to the inch on US 3 needles. I'm also interested in solid colors for the patterns I'm considering. I used some Plymouth Dreambaby DK last year for a sweater for Daughter, and that worked out ok (it's pretty fine for a DK), but I didn't love the colors at my LYS. And also? I'm poor, so I want cheap-ish yarn. Acrylic is fine (hello...it's washable!). If I had more dough I'd get Dale Baby Ull, but I just can't see paying upwards of $40 for one little baby outfit. Any other suggestions are welcome.


This last photo is a little bit of retail therapy from yesterday. The only Hancock Fabrics we have in the area is closing and everything is 30-50% off right now. I went yesterday expecting the shelves to be empty, but they were not. And there was hardly anyone shopping. I guess that would by why the store is closing. Anyway, since Lion Brand yarns are my true love, I grabbed this ball of Baby Soft in a pretty melon color for just $2 (it was the last one). And all buttons were 50% off so I got the pink ones to match this yarn, and the wooden ones to go on the green sweater pictured in my last post.

I want to use this new yarn to make a sweater for the new baby, but I have a hard time finding sport weight baby sweater patterns. Once again I turn to you, oh wise knitters of the internet. I have a couple of patterns I could use, but I have made them several times as gifts and I'd like to challenge myself with something different. Suggestions?

Finally, thanks for the thoughts on the baby jail...oops, I mean play yard. As it is now officially garage sale/flea market season I'm wondering if I might be able to find a used one in good (read: safe) condition. You all seem to like them, so I'll be getting one.

**Anyone want to send me a smidge to swatch? Just a few yards? I'll love you forever!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you interested in vintage baby knitting/crochet patterns (1930s-1940s)? My friend bought an estate and it included BOXES of vintage knitting books, quite a few of which are for babies. I nabbed a book with a few patterns I hope to coerce my grandma into making, I'd be glad to send you one or copies of the pages of mine.

Love the pink/white dress set. It's yummy.

Sorry about the heat and the anxiety. Hang in there.

kate said...

Karen - YES!! I love, love, love baby patterns from that era. I'm especially interested in knitted sweaters (cardigan and/or pullover). I'll be happy to buy anything you and your friend don't want, or at least pay shipping. Drop me an email and let me know what you have. Thanks!

Jenn said...

I've got a ball of palette that I'd be happy to send you, and I might have some patterns around here to dig up too!
Email me your addy!
knitnlit AT hotmail DOT com.