Tuesday, May 30, 2006

sweat and sweaters

Hey folks...I trust all in the US had a fine holiday weekend. Now it's time to be screwed up all week because we all feel like it's Monday instead of Tuesday. Fun!

I haven't checked out the national weather situation (and I do, because I love the weather channel and I am lame), so I don't know what ya'll are experiencing right now, but it is pushing 90 here and Hub did not get out the air conditioner yesterday to cool the living room. Suffice it to say it's getting a bit sticky in here. I don't think I'll be working on this until at least this evening when it either cools down a little or I get Hub to haul the A/C unit in from the shed:


Wee baby sweater. Pattern: Knitting Pure and Simple neck-down cardigan. Size: 12 months. Yarn: Encore worsted weight in a pretty green, recycled from a sweater I completed for myself and then ripped because it didn't fit right. This yarn has a lot of history and has been recycled into at least 2 baby gifts now, which delights me because I had a ton of it and didn't want another sweater for myself made from it. Anyhoozle, it needs sleevage, obviously, and I'm on my way, but it's probably too warm to do it today. Also, excuse the curliness. It needs a good block as well. And adorable buttons...which is always cool 'cause it means we have to go shopping. Huzzah!

No shopping today though. I have no car because Hub's brand new car is back at the dealer for repair. We have awful luck with cars lately, people. I mean, if you've been reading here for any length of time, you know all about it. This time he had a loose bolt in the suspension (that sounds kind of bad, no? Freaks me out, anyway...) so it was making a horrible knocking, dragging, grinding noise. It was repaired this morning but he took my car to work. I am hoping we can go get his back tonight or early tomorrow. If we did have the car you can bet we'd be high-tailing it to the beach today. Because I can't even find Daughter's little blow-up pool. I would probably keel over trying to inflate it anyway.

So I was thinking of sewing instead, but I don't know what to do with my kid. She is way too interested in every dangerous item in our house to let her play solo on the floor. I can't take my eye off her for a second or she is pulling a cord, sticking her fingers into the baseboard heat radiator thingys, eating dust/crumbs/dead bugs (no we are not dirty but she finds that kind of crap anyway), army crawling full-bore toward the dog's dishes, and just generally finding trouble. I guess we could do the playpen thing for a little while, but now that she's so mobile she gets really frustrated. Do any of you have one of those portable fence-like play-yard things? Is it any better than a regular pack 'n play? Is your child happy playing in there? I don't think I'd get the $200+ model, but I know you can get a similar item for around $80. We are considering it to pen our kid in...er, keep her from hurting herself, that is.

If I don't sew or do something otherwise productive, I'm afraid I'll sit in front of my computer and get in trouble one way or another myself. Yikes, can't afford that!

Enjoy your Tuesday, all! Stay cool...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We have the less-expensive, version of this. I bought it at K-Mart for around $40.00. We used it specifically for camping last year because we needed a safe place to contain an 18m old while we cooked, set-up/took down camp, etc. We filled it with puzzles and her Little People toys and she really enjoyed it because she could move around and play freely.

It is a little big but it folds up easily. I expect to get a lot of use out of it with #3, too. Worth every penny so far.

Teresa said...

Mine howls because I gate her off from the bathroom and kitchen, and shut the bedroom doors, so I know a play corral would not work for us. I admit it, I have become a baby slave *sigh* It won't be forever, and she IS indendant, so it isn't like I have to be on the floor playing with her constantly.

Staci said...

I love my play yard. With my older daughter, she was pretty content to play in it as a playpen while I tried to work from home. For my younger I use it to block off the stairs hallway so she has the whole family room to play in, but can't get to surrounding danger. And it is awesome for outside/camping. It's big enough that the kid can move around, but small enough that you can put a sheet or something under it if your baby is just the right age to try and eat grass without some sort of ground cover. I got the $80-ish one at B'r'U, and then got the attachable sun cover, which provides good shade. I think it's worth it.