Wednesday, June 21, 2006

sew cute

On my list today are: mop kitchen floor, clean bathroom, pay bills. So as soon as Daughter went down for her morning nap I immediately pulled out my sewing machine. I'm a rebel.

Remember the little blue dress I made for Daughter a couple weeks ago? What, you don't have my blog memorized? Sheesh. Ok, here you go:


now with bloomers!

Yep, instead of doing boring old chores, I sat down and sewed up the little bloomers that go under the dress. Since it's quite a shorty little thing these are definitely necessary, or else her diaper is just hanging out. Not fond of that look. Anyway, I am so impressed at how easy these are...they only took about an hour, and now that I know what I'm doing I can probably do the next ones faster (oh yes, these are so cute & easy I want to make a bazillion).

Closeup:


so yummy I might eat them for lunch

And a little closeup of the inside of the leg casing, which I think is constructed in a very cool way:


Oh my gosh, that is a terrible photo - my apologies. I must have had the settings wrong on the camera or something. Yikes. Anyway, if you can get past the blur, check out the neato way you use bias tape to make a (hopefully) comfy little casing for the leg elastic. You use 1/2" bias tape, stitch it to the right side, turn to the wrong side, stitch that down, then insert the elastic and slip stitch closed. Brilliant! Usually I hate bias tape but this was a breeze.

The thing that actually takes the most time with these little pants is adjusting the elastic over and over to get it right. Other than that, a fast and awesome little project.

I cut out several more little dresses and bloomers before going into the hospital last week, and lo, major thunderstorms are rolling in as I type. Guess what I'm doing during afternoon naptime today?

5 comments:

Staci said...

Okay, I'm officially in love with that dress. I'm going to have to hunt down that pattern and see what fun fabrics I can find for the girls. I love putting them in casual dresses rather than grown-up style clothes all the time. Marianne might be a getting too old for this look, but Ruth is perfect for it. The bloomers look awesome, and if they're not too hard, I'm sure I can swing it. Thanks!!

"Grandi" said...

I love the stuff you sew and knit! I added you to my "grazings" - hope that's ok by you! I found you through "Big trade off" I'm going to go get this pattern - my granddaughter would be adorable in it!!
I'm so glad your surgery went ok - nasty recovery, but sounds like you are bouncing back ok. I'm looking forward to seeing your next project!

kate said...

That's awesome, grandi...come by anytime, I am flattered!

Staci, you can definitely swing this outfit. Not hard at all.

Teresa said...

WOW, looks NICE. I need to recesitate my sewing machine, it is probally older than my mother (really) and has a personality that you would not belive. It works when it wants to, so I have abandoned it in discust at the moment. (one of theese days, it will have it's own stand, and supervise in my craft room)

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

that is awesome!
you totally inspired me with that dress blog entry--i went and bought paterns and material.
oh yeah--i forgot--i can't sew.
i am going to teach myself slowly..
good for you!
the floor can always be mopped, but little ones outgrow dresses very quickly (ha ha ha)
i love bloomers also.
my dd is 3 and i still have her wear them so that she's not showing her underwear to the world.
hope the recovery is going well!!