Thursday, June 29, 2006

in which i complain about my hair and you sort of get to see what i look like

My energy is flagging at this point in the week...sooooooooooooo tired. Plus it has been on-and-off sunny and rainy (often several times in the same day) so that's kind of draining. Thank goodness there is leftover pizza for lunch 'cause I don't think I could rustle up much more than that on my own.

So, since there is nothing to really write about (I have done only paid sewing for the past 2 days), I thought I'd complain about my hair a little. I am Italian and I have some seriously Italian hair. It's very thick, very dark - not black, but not far from it - and it's naturally quite wavy and somewhat coarse. During the summer the humidity gets it and it turns into a freaking 'fro. I cannot justify even blowing it dry, especially when it's hot 'cause that's uncomfortable enough, but also because it just curls and whirls anyway, even if I blow it straight. With product. The hair, it has a mind of its own. I don't have a current photo of it, but it's hitting pretty much between chin and shoulder length right now
(depending on the amount of curl). Also, with pregnancy has come much more curliness. I totally don't get that because the hair is technically dead, right? So how can it curl more because of the hormones in my body?? Makes no sense.

Oh and plus, I haven't seen the inside of a hair salon in 11 months. Seriously. The last time I had it cut was the week before Daughter's christening last July. Hang on, I think there's a photo of that cut on my laptop somewhere...

Oh yes. Here you go:



Yes, my nose is Italian too. Shut up. And there are only 2 people in this photo, but 4 total chins. Hmmmm.

Anyway, that is how I prefer my hair to be cut. Why is it no longer cut that way? (Or cut any way at all?) Well, I lost a bet with my husband last summer. He sold a Stratocaster (sp?) to buy a gym membership right around the time this photo was taken. I totally didn't believe he had the dedication to go continuously and actually lose weight. So I said if he lost 20 lbs I'd grow my hair. I thought I was safe. Turns out he lost the stupid 20 lbs. And now I have to deal with this crazy mop o' hair on my sweaty little head.

That was a totally boring story, huh? Sorry, I'll be back with something interesting soon...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey- I finally have a visual of what you look like! So far you've only been a socked foot in my mind's eye until today. How lovely!

I feel your hair pain only mine is the total opposite end of the spectrum. Thin, stringy, used to be blond hair. I can still muster up some natural curl in humidity but it's not constant enough here.

Wanna trade?

"Grandi" said...

Why is is that guys like long hair so much?!! My guy always wanted me to grow mine out too! Well, I have, a few times over the years for him, but it just didn't last! Toooo hot in the summer!! And in more recent years I couldn't quite carry off the cute ponytail thing (this grama should NEVER wear a ponytail - not even at the gym!!) So I am back to short hair - and a while back hubby even squeeked out that he liked my hair short - not tooo short, but the way it is now is ok with him! Hello - my hair - my choice of styles!! Has he ever asked how I wanted him to wear HIS hair??? HA!! I'm not militant about it - I just smile and wear it the way I want!!

At least you are young enough for the cute ponytail thing and curly hair always looks great like that and it's cooler than down on your neck!

Anonymous said...

You say your hair is wavy...try picking up a book called "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey it's inexpensive and it has saved me a ton of angst over my hair. I actually prefer the humidity now becuase of it!