Tuesday, June 27, 2006

more sewing cuteness

Wow, where did the past 5 days go?

I feel like a lot has been going on, and yet I couldn't really tell you what the heck we've been doing. Friday was "stay home and scrub the filthy bathroom" day but that ended with me being stir-crazy and dragging Daughter to JoAnn Fabrics, ostensibly for some new machine needles, but really I
wanted to browse. She picked out some fabric (seriously, we walk along the calico wall and she points to the ones she likes), so we got a few cuts to make some more sundresses.

Saturday we did a couple errands, and then I spent the entire evening constructing a new outfit for
Daughter:


cherries jubliee!


look at the matchy-matchy cherry buttons!

Friends, I am having so much fun making these little outfits. I'm going to need a 12-step program to get over this. Once again, here is the info:

Dress pattern: New Look Kids #6578, size 1/2 but adjusted to length of the size 2
Bloomers pattern: Easy Stitch 'n Save by McCall's #M5079, size large

The cherry buttons were also from JoAnn, and I swear I think they cost almost as much as the fabric. But you have to admit it was worth it, no?

There was a question last week in the comments regarding how to determine the length of the
elastic in the bloomers. Since I have the kid right here, I measured her thighs and added about 1". I also double checked against some store-bought outfits to make sure that would work. If possible, I would suggest taking a loose leg measurement, or asking the mom to measure if the baby isn't with you.

I have to run and try getting some work done. I don't think I've shared this yet, but my 14-month old child just up and decided IT IS NOW TIME TO WALK. So we spend all our waking hours cruising furniture, taking daredevil steps from table to couch to tv stand, and attempting to climb the family room steps. People, my back? It is killing me. The poor kid isn't really very stable yet so she threatens to fall all the time. I have to scootch around the floor, hovering behind her, trying to avoid the face-smashing into furniture fall, or the head bouncing off the floor fall...it is strenuous. The point is, she is now sleeping and this is my break. I was given this project for the quilt shop back in April, I am ashamed to say, and it still is not finished:



It's hard to see in this crummy photo (sorry, it is dark, dark, dark and pouring rain today), but the big squares have embroidery in them. With all the issues going on in my life over the last few months I just haven't been able to finish this paid work. But we could sure use the dough so I'm buckling down. I have to finish this and its twin, hopefully this week. Thankfully this one is almost there.

Also? It is twelve thousand percent humidity today and everything feels damp. Eew. Makes for some clammy sewing...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! And yes the cherry buttons were totally worth it. My mom always tells me, "Don't skimp on the finishing details or it will just look like another homemade item."

I'm currently making the EXACT same dress for Spicey in patriotic fabric. I made Cool matching shorts. HeeHee. I agree, easy and cute.

"Grandi" said...

Ok - I'm buying the fabric this week!! Computer Guy's little girl is 14 months and will look adorable in this!!
I also bought a pattern for a reversable hoodie for her at a craft fair (can't remember a brand - sorry) It has turned back cuffs and 3 little buttons right under the chin. Too Cute!! So I bought a little denim skirt and I'm going to put a matching ruffle on it! I'll put a picture on my blog when I get them done! Thanks for the measurement info!!

Staci said...

Oh man, I want to eat that dress. And not specifically because of the cherries, but just because it's so darn cute. I have got to start making those for my kids. By the time I get around to it, it'll be fall, though.

Renee said...

I love cherries!
I need a girl just to wear an outfit as cute as that one.

"Grandi" said...

Hey Hangermom - just make it out of velour!! It would be a great fall jumper!

Staci said...

Yes! All I need is a cute white turtleneck and that dress could be perfect all winter for the girls! I'm very excited. Thanks, grandi, for helping me to see the obvious possibilities. :)