Sunday, June 11, 2006

wild mood swings

Between pregnancy and stressing out about surgery this week, I've been having the wildest of mood and energy swings. Please pardon my attitude for the next few days if I bore/offend/irritate you with my whiny-ness. I am hoping to return to relative normalcy in about a week. And I know you all will be happy to stop reading about thyroid surgery, no? I'll be happy to stop writing and thinking about it, that's for sure.

I got over my slump yesterday and went all sew-crazy. I had spent the morning carefully tracing and cutting patterns and pieces for some wee sundresses, and decided to get off my butt and sew
one. Also, I didn't want to cut any more fabric if the size I'd chosen to make for Daughter wasn't right. She is tall but very skinny, so I was already adjusting the pattern for that. Here's what I came up with (sorry for the crapitude of the pics...our 2 megapixel camera isn't so great on a super sunny day):


Pattern: New Look for Kids #6578
Size: 1/2 (smallest the pattern makes) with length adjustment for the size 2
Fabric: Hand-dyed batik print from the shop where I used to work (those are sunflowers if you can't tell)
Fit: Perfect

I am quite proud of this little dress. You can't see in the photo, but this is constructed using lined facings (rather than being self-lined like the blue dress I made last week). This makes the project slow-going but if you take your time it's worth it. And I really did...there are only 4 (!) pieces involved in this dress and it took a solid 2 hours to sew, counting all the fusing of the interfacing, the edge finishing, the pinning, and layering the seams/clipping curves.

I must recommend that any of you who sew garments (especially wee garments) invest a few bucks in either a sleeve press, or a tailor's ham. I can't express to you the difference it makes whe
n pressing small curves. Joann carries both of these and they are cheap...this I say unto you: get to a Joann Fabrics with your 40% off coupon and buy one of these pressing tools! It will change your life.

And I'm so glad I traced the pattern onto Pattern Ease in the size I wanted. This step is a huge pain, especially if you're impatient like I am, but it's SO worth doing. I made the smallest size and would have lost the ability to make the other 4 sizes included in the pattern had I just hacked into it. I plan to make this pattern multiple times as my kids grow, and hope to experiment with corduroy, velour and denim this winter (a shirt will easily fit underneath, especially on my skinny little one). Here's a question for the sewers - if I made this out of a heavier material, what material could I use for the facings to reduce bulk?


And on the knitting front...lookee what I finished!!


Pattern: Secret Garden from The Childrens' Collection (Alice Starmore)
Size: 2-3 years
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Fern (approx. 7 skeins but I cut into 8 while constructing all the different parts)
Button: gorgeous antique-finish silver shank button with celtic knot design. 2 megapixel camera cannot do justice here, so I didn't even try.
Needles: US size 7 (4.5 mm) - I used a Susan Bates metal circular for the body and sleeves, and then my Denise needles for the collar portion. You need 3 needles at one time to knit the collar on, so the Denise kit came in really handy here.

I LOVE this sweater. I am SO pleased with how it came out. It blocked to the correct measurements, but it's hee-yooge and won't fit Daughter until at least mid-winter. Since it's the 2-3 year size I am hopeful she will get 2 winters out of it. Plus Daughter #2 should be able to wear it in the future. Definitely worth making, and I would do it again. The color in the photo is totally wrong - the Fern yarn is much greener in real life (not so gray like in the pic). Also, the sleeve seams need a press, and the front bands need blocking, I know. So it's technically not completely finished, but I was excited to show it.

I was totally thinking of entering this in the County Fair, but there are just a couple of little mistakes at the beginning. :(

Well, I'd best grab a shower before Daughter wakes up from her nap. Hope you're all having a beautiful weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous gorgeous dress. And I love the Secret Garden too.

I had hideous mood swings in my last pg - without the excuse of surgery hanging over me - it happens - anyone with any sense gets it.

Unknown said...

No apologies necessary. Keep talking, it's therapeutic.

The dress and sweater are great! I have that pattern too but haven't made it yet. It's nice to see it actually done. So the Pattern Ease . . . I'll have to check that out. I've been using trace paper and wheel to do the same thing and it's ANNOYING.

Regarding the linings- I've done lined facings with flannel and it's not too bad. Maybe use a really lightweight lining. We're talking interfacing right? I know how to do this stuff I'm just never good at knowing their technical terms.

Jenn said...

Secret Garden is beautiful! What a lovely sweater that I'm sure will become an heirloom. And the dress is super cute too!

Staci said...

I love both the new tiny items! The cardigan is stunning - both daughters should definitely be able to get use out of it over the coming years. And that dress pattern is classic. I may have to track that down at my JoAnns. Although since I'm not an experienced sewer like so many bloggers, I really don't have a clue what all the facing/lining talk is about, so I'll have to leave that one up to someone else's recommendation. I feel like every time I buy even the simplest of patterns, I discover some new terminology or technique that I have to google explanations for.

kate said...

Karen - the interfacing is the stuff you iron onto the facing pieces, so what I'm looking for is what to use for the actual facing pieces (you know, those little abbreviated pieces that go inside the front and back neck area). Flannel is a good thought. I'll try it.