Tuesday, June 06, 2006

random with a side of randomness

Well, I am happy to hear I wasn't the only one drooling at the TV like a zombie over the weekend. After lunch on Sunday I did recover from my state of sloth and did the grocery shopping, cleaned the bathroom, straightened up the house, and whipped my husband into doing the vacuuming. Wore me right out...we are watching "24" on dvd these days because summer TV sucks and I can barely stay awake for 2 episodes a night, much less the 6 or 8 Hub wants to watch. I tried to tell him that if he would help more with the housework I wouldn't be falling asleep on the couch at 9:00 but that went nowhere.

Yesterday I had to go to the hospital for my pre-op testing. That just consisted of filling out a
medical history and sitting in a very cold room whilst a nurse then asked me all the same questions from the form again. Then they took my temperature, blood pressure and some vials of blood. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, see you next week. Oh and also? One of the nurses (I think she was a nurse) was all like, "so...what are the risks to your baby with the anesthesia?" Uhhhhh...yeah. Nothing more comforting than having a trained medical professional ask you that sort of question.

I also have to fill out a medical proxy form this week. If that isn't creepy, I don't know what is. I also intend to write something up regarding my wishes in the event that something terrible happens to me - yes, technically we should each have a will but we do not because we are lame - and I will give one sealed copy to my husband and one to my parents with instructions to open it only in the event of a disaster. Otherwise they can chuck it when I have recovered. I know this is a fairly routine
procedure but strange things can happen and I want my wishes known. It's kind of awful to think about but it's important - ponder that for a sec. What would you want for your children if you suddenly couldn't care for them anymore? The thought kind of rips my heart to shreds, but the least I can do is tell everyone what I would want for Daughter.

Well, that was kind of morbid. Let's talk about more fun things, shall we? Like the sweater that's almost finished:



Once again this is Secret Garden from The Childrens' Collection (Starmore). It's the 2-3 year size, knitted on US size 7 needles from Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in the Fern colorway. I sewed in the sleeves 1.5 times...because I accidentally sewed the second one inside out the first time. Needless to say I was kind of pissy after that and I had to punish the sweater by throwing it in my knitting basket so it could think about what it had done. Bad, bad sleeve.

But it is now fixed! And the collar is knitted (you can see it there at the top) and ready to be attached. Then I can knit the front bands, weave in the eighty bajillion ends that are hiding inside in this photo, and give the whole thing the old block 'n press. As an aside: I understand that Knitpicks sells this yarn in small skeins so it can be priced cheaply, but 110 yards? Come on. I shouldn't have to weave in this many ends on a little kid sweater that's knitted in one piece out of one color. Do you hear me, Knitpicks?!? I shake my fist at you!!


Since this post was all over the place anyway, I leave you with this random shot of my kid lounging in her lawn chair, reading the tag she ripped off the back. Please don't mind the extreme mess and ugly air conditioner in the background:


The pillows in front of the chair were there to keep her from cracking her head on the floor if she tumbled out. Which did no good when the chair crash-landed sideways seconds after this photo was taken. Moral of the story: when the tag says ages 3-5, it really means ages 3-5. Not so much 13.5 months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Luuuuuv the sweater. Love it I say.

I don't luuuuv the nurse.

And the 'extreme mess'? Girl, brace yourself (and your house) for two.

Teresa said...

lol, saw the "extreme mess" and had to laugh.. have you ever wondered why you have yet to see a single shot of my house? Not a pretty sight. But hubby is still not walking right yet. I had to get the wee one a little chair for her to sit on, too. She perfers a pink plastic "Princess" one her Granpa bought her. It too is the wrong age group, and she falls out :(

"Grandi" said...

Oh that green sweater is BEAUTIFUL!! The pattern is really pretty - I am a quilter and have done some easy knitting, but nothing this challenging. I'm glad the sleeve finally behaved!!