Sunday, January 29, 2006

test yourself

I have more birthday loot to share, but that can wait for tomorrow.

Yesterday I took a very interesting test (which I found via Slate.com) that shows a person's racial bias. I don't know exactly who my readership is, but I am guessing many (if not all) of you are middle class-ish white women. You would probably (hopefully) say, "I have no racial bias." But this test will make you really think more deeply about that question. The article I started from is
here. The test is not difficult - it is purely subjective. But parts of it are somewhat complicated to understand if you're distracted. So put the kids down for a nap or wait till bedtime, then sit down with a cup of tea and take this test. It's pretty interesting.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
(click on the research tab...it will ask for lots of registration information, but not your name or address...this is not one of those internet scammy IQ test-like things)

I am quite happy to say that my results indicated I do not judge people as competent or incompetent based on race, which I think I already knew. If you choose to take this test I would love to hear what you think of it.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I tried out a couple of the demonstrations tests, which I assume are smaller. I don't want to do the main thing while at work since I'll likely be interrupted. But it's definitely interesting. It didn't tell me anything I don't already know yet, and I'm glad of that. Very interesting site - I'm planning to do the "research" test when I have time. Thanks for sharing!