Monday, January 16, 2006

Bad Mommy, then, Good Mommy

So last night I thought I would try to give Daughter a whole meal of "big people food" in place of baby food. I made homemade meatballs so I'd know exactly what was in 'em. I cooked the pasta way, way past al dente so it would be soft for her. I bashed up 1/2 a meatball and made sure it was all cool enough for her to eat. We sat down to dinner and I started feeding her teeny bits of spaghetti and meatballs.

Husband was watching, asking me if feeding her spaghetti and meatballs was really a good idea. I insisted it was, as I've read and heard that at her age she should be able to eat anything we eat, as long as it's not spicy or made up of potential allergens. Also, she is doing a very good job gumming everything I feed her. So she would take a mouthful and then just sit, lips pursed. She sort of chewed, and swallowed, and opened her mouth for more, until after about 5 or 6 bites she started to cry. Her face turned red, tears started pouring down, and her mouth just hung open revealing little bits of meatball. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

What a total bummer. She then refused to take anything from me. Husband had to take over and give her applesauce and little pieces of ham, which she happily ate.

Fast forward to tonight. Do you guys have that awesome section in the supermarket where they make rotisserie chickens so you can totally fool your husband into thinking you made dinner? And the counter nearby where you can get everything from potato salad to baked beans? Yep, Daughter and I were there tonight, partaking of the pre-cooked items. I got one of the chickens - they rock, and last time we had one she ate some and seemed to like it. They're small birds, enough for 2 hungry adults or a little family.

We got home and I decided to prepare her a plate. We have adorable little barnyard themed plastic 3-section plates for her so I put little bits of chicken in one section, 5 little strips of American cheese in another, and some cut-up peach in the third. I figured she might try the food and/or flip the plate onto the floor. Doesn't matter...we have a canine vacuum cleaner.

I am happy to report that she inhaled the whole dinner. She was a blur of two little fists grabbing chicken and shoveling it into her mouth as fast as possible. When the chicken was gone she started on the cheese, and moved on to the peaches. I've never seen anything like it. I thought she might still be hungry, so I cut up some more chicken for her. Peeps, she ate half a chicken breast. Husband called to say he was on his way and I told him to hurry it up or there wouldn't be any left for him.

It appears that I am back in her good graces.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

We used to call Her Ladyship "The Human Hoover" ... she once sucked up three adult-sized helpings of spaghetti casserole.

Enjoy your little gourmand!

Staci said...

That's fantastic! I'm glad the eating is going well - and with meat even! It took our daughter a while to warm up to any meat other than thin sliced deli ham. Congrats on the real dinner. There are happy days of not having to tote around a diaper bag full of baby food on your horizon!

ps. I think we have the exact same kid plates.