Monday, January 14, 2008

itty bitty pretty

I'm not too foo-foo, as longtime readers here already know. I do like pretty things, but understated. I really love to be challenged in my hobbies, though, and I think with knitting and crochet that often means you're going to be heading in a fancy-ish direction. Lace, lots of cables, delicate things...and sometimes that's exactly what I need.


This is technically a Christmas ornament, but I think I like it as a tiny doily to go under one of my (very few) knick-knacks. It measures exactly 5" across after blocking, and is made with size 30 crochet thread and a size 10 steel hook. That's a hook so tiny that if I wasn't careful, I stuck it right through my fingertip while hooking the thread.


I found the pattern in this book, Romantic Crochet. It's a Better Homes & Gardens book, available super cheap at both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. If you are someone who likes thread crochet it's a nice addition to your crafty library. There are projects using all weights of crochet cotton, many Victorian-inspired, and of all sizes. Also included are several very pretty worsted and sport weight afghans (which I would love to make if we could possibly store any more blankets in this house), and some children's items but they're a little...80s, if you know what I mean. They could still be nice if the maker updated the colors a bit (what was with the peach & green in the 80s?).

I have my eye on some lovely tablecloth edgings and pillowcase edgings made with size 40 thread and a size 11 or 12 hook, but I can't find thread that fine in the craft stores. I guess I'll have to order it online. Anyway, lots of lovely gift ideas if you're a homemade gift maker.

Ah, it's a dark gray day and the snow is falling. I'm off to unload the dishwasher for the seven-thousandth time and get some chili started for dinner. Hope you're all keeping warm wherever you are!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm, chili! My favorite winter meal.

The doile is so pretty! My grandma makes tons of those things, every year I get a new one in some beautiful shape and size. When we were kids she made us Barbie clothes.

Can't wait to see what other things you produce!