Wednesday, October 24, 2007

FO: twirly dress v2.0

I made another Sew Baby Twirly Dress for Daughter, and this one came out awesome:



I had way less trouble with this second version. I was waffling on this pattern after my first attempt, but now I am fully in love with it. This is another size 2, with a 6-gore skirt. The fabric is 100% polyester knit, billed as 'bathrobe fabric' on the bolt. It is SO soft and velour-like that I broke my own rule about dressing my kid in natural fibers. And frankly, the poly behaved a lot better than the 100% cotton I used last time. My twin needle worked way better also. This has been washed and worn several times and is holding up incredibly well. I see many more of these dresses in Daughter's future!

And now, a question for the knitters: can anyone point me in the direction of a pattern for a worsted-weight cable-knit cardigan for toddlers? I'm looking for size 2-4 range (I will make it a bit big if necessary so Daughter can wear it a long time). Alice Starmore has some nice cable-knit pullovers, and I actually have one set to go, but I'd like a nice, heavy cardigan for Daughter to wear this fall and winter. All I can find are patterns for dk/sport or lighter, or enormous sizes that Daughter won't wear till she's in 4th grade. Help! Anyone?

If I can't find one I will be forced to take the Knitting Pure and Simple cardigan pattern and re-design it full of cables, which I am NOT good at, and it won't be fun. :(

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Have you considered Trellis? Miss Bea's Rainy Day has a lot of cabled patterns in it ...

kate said...

Thanks, Ruth...but I made the 18-month size Trellis last year. She has long since outgrown it. *sigh* I will look into Miss Bea...

Unknown said...

Love the twirly!!! I would love an action shot of her twirling in it. Thanksabunch.

I can't wait to try it when barn sale hell week is over.