Friday, November 10, 2006

Adamas


Adamas shawl, by Miriam Felton (pattern available from Knitpicks)
Finished measurements: almost 72" by almost 36" (I knit so tightly I could probably whip up a diamond if you gave me some coal...I wasn't able to quite stretch it out to the stated measurements in the pattern).
Materials: about 1.5 or so hanks of Knitpicks Shadow in the Vineyard colorway, one US size 5 circular needle (I think 29"), and twelve billion stitch markers.


Indispensible for this project - a row counter. I just use the cheap little red one you can get at craft stores - you know, the one where you roll the numbers. It's a must-have, no question. As stitch markers I used jump rings, which were a whopping 75 cents for a pack of 100 at AC Moore. I did not use lifelines. I'm a daredevil like that. Did I make errors? A couple. Can you see them? I don't think you can.


I know next to nothing about blocking lace (obviously) but I tried. It's tedious, yo. Since I plan to do more lace, I will be heading to the hardware store for some stiff wire. I'm not paying a bazillion dollars for fancy blocking wires when I can just get something off the shelf at Lowe's for pennies.

I have to highly recommend this shawl if you're looking to start knitting lace. It's not a hard pattern to knit if you have a little experience, though I would recommend sitting down in a quiet place (no TV!) to start out. By the end I was able to knit and at least listen to the TV, but I couldn't really look up for fear of losing a YO on the purl-back rows.

Thank you, Miriam, for another wonderful pattern!

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Kate, it's gorgeous! What's your next lace project?

Kristi said...

Wow - that is absolutely beautiful! I am a total novice knitter and am amazed that that shawl is knitted! It is stunning. I hope you are planning to wear it this weekend!

Pam said...

Nothing less then stunning. You always make the coolest stuff!

"Grandi" said...

Wow! That is beautiful!! You'll have fun wearing it!!

Teresa said...

PRETTY! the Yarn Harlot had a tutorial on blocking lace some time ago, but your looks pretty good to me. But hey, the only lace I ever did was a book mark, and a gift bag, so what do I know?

Scoutj said...

So pretty!

Jenn said...

Looks lovely!

Unknown said...

You have a gift. Seriously.

trainlady said...

Stainless wires. Don't buy something for pennies. Buy stainless steel wires. Really.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for all the pointers. This pattern looked good for a first timer, so I ordered it two days ago! Glad to see it worked out so well.