Monday, March 27, 2006

Quick! We need a vote!

Whew, now that Sesame nostalgia and the weekend are over, I've got to ask you all what you think of my sockapaloooza socks. Because I don't think I like 'em.


side 1


side 2

First of all, I'm not enjoying this pattern (Simply Lovely Lace Socks from Spring '06 IK). There's absolutely nothing wrong with it from a technical standpoint, I'm just getting sick of all this ktbl stuff on every stinking round. Plus I really don't think the pattern and yarn are suited for each other. And I'm getting odd striping and pooling, especially on ye olde foote. I've never used this yarn before - it's Sock Landscape from Knitpicks - and it seems a tad heavy for a lacy pattern. It knits up into a slightly "bulkier" fabric than I think would be appropriate for lace. I'm probably answering my own question here, but should I rip this sucker and start over, maybe with just a traditional plain ol' stockinette ankle sock? A little 1X1 rib and then just knit away? I could knock those out in less than a week, as opposed to this little stinker which has already eaten up most of March (mostly because I don't enjoy working on it, so I let it sit on the coffee table and stew).

I am lazy and I don't think I have enough readers to merit a real blog poll, so please leave me a comment with your opinion (if you have one). I'm not knitting another stitch until I figure this out!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the yarn, I like the pattern, but they don't go well together. :(

If not straight up stockinette, how about Jaywalker?

kate said...

Yeah, that's what I'm feeling too. I'm not up for a jaywalker...I know it's all the rage but I'm not a big fan of the pattern. :(

Anonymous said...

Unless you are getting paid, or someone you love has their heart set on it, life it too short to do something you don't want to do. That applies to everything in life, but especially to something you normally do for relaxation.

Scoutj said...

I agree that I like them both but not together I don't think. Sorry!

Jenn said...

I'm really liking the way my sock garden (i think) is knitting up - i'm doing a 3x1 rib - it's a nice change from 1x1 or 2x2 and I love the way it looks - off your foot you can barely tell it's ribbed! I'm using size 2 needles and I cast on 60 stitches. Hope that helps!

Ruth said...

I agree ... great pattern, lovely yarn, but the marriage just doesn't work. How about a 3x1 rib sock for your sock pal? Just enough visual interest to be "something", but simple enough that it won't fight with the yarn.