Tuesday, October 31, 2006

hell hath no fury...

...like me and my bowsaw.

Yes, that's right, I said bowsaw. I went to Home Depot today and bought myself one. Then, when Daughter fell asleep for her nap, I went outside and started to dismantle a dead tree that's been laying in our yard for a year and a half. It fell during a spring ice storm in '05. Technically it is our
neighbors' tree, but as they have 15 dirtbikes, a horse from an old carousel, a duck with its own wading pool, and a trampoline in their yard, we don't figure they are the type of good people who will ever offer to have their tree removed from our property. They also just stand in the doorway and scream at their kids during the warmer months...you know, those kind of folks. Whatever.


Here is what remained after I chopped, hacked, and dragged. I should have taken a picture before I started - the change is pretty big. It has been laying there so long it's just a tangle of viney growth. The tree it landed next to has started to grow around it. It's a mess. We will probably lose the tree in the foreground as well - the back split off during the storm 2 weeks ago. We will pay for that to be removed, but I can do the dead tree myself.


Here's what I removed. The photo doesn't even do it justice. There's a lot of stuff in that pile.


And here's a look at the whole mess. I really want to reclaim the backyard so we can seed it next summer and have nice grass for Daughter to play on.

It was really satisfying to do this work. I just chopped away at the smaller stuff with big hedge clippers, and sawed the branches that were too thick to be chopped. Then I dragged and raked and dragged some more. There's something very cool about the moment when you're sawing a branch and it makes that "crack!" sound before it splits off. I worked until my arms felt like noodles, I could quite literally smell myself (eew!) and I had sweat running down my back (also it was over 60 degrees today, which is kind of why I did it in the first place). I also bitched and crabbed and talked to myself, letting out some pent up emotion that really needed to be released.

Now that I am done I have that crazy high - you know how that is? You work so hard it hurts and then you just feel so...cleansed, or something. My arms are going to hurt SO MUCH tomorrow (I already started taking ibuprofin to head off the pain), my palms are blistered, and I have some scratches on my hands, but it was worth it. I'll be back out there to do more as weather permits. Who knew cutting apart a dead tree could be such good therapy?

(Yes, I was conscious of my safety - nothing could fall on me, the tree is laying on the ground. And I am very careful with my shiny new saw.)

6 comments:

Pam said...

You totally kicked that trees ass!

You absolutely must post a picture of the duck in it's own wading pool:)

"Grandi" said...

What a wonderful day! You really accomplished a lot!! Congrats on your new saw!

Anonymous said...

You go Girl!!! Don't you love that sense of accomplishment!!! And its true you do feel somewhat cleansed by the work and to see all that was done-great job-I got a bunch of limbs from this last storm, if you want to come over and finish my yard!!! ha ha ha

Unknown said...

You are THE WOMAN!!!

Borrowing the wise words of the prophets Wayne and Garth: "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you One important thing- ALLIGATOR LOPERS from Black and Decker-they are electric and can cut through almost anything-we just got one and I can't imagine my life without it--I am in love...

someone else said...

This is my first real visit to your blog, although I've known about you from my daughter, Karen. She showed me the exquisite sweater and booties you knitted for her coming baby and they're just beautiful. I can't imagine going through all that you have, but I'm touched by your spirit and strength. Your story had be shedding a steady stream of tears and I pray peace and comfort for you in the days ahead.