Thursday, October 12, 2006

catching up

To catch up on what I've been making lately:


Here is a picture of the jumper I made for Daughter, seen in the post from a few days ago. As you can see, I made the facings from some funky multicolor dotted calico. I don't remember if I listed the specs or not, so I will do it here: New Look Kids #6578, size 1 but adjusted to the size 3 length. It's made from denim and calico. This is the same pattern I used for the sundresses I made over the summer and I love it. It will be making another appearance soon in purple corduroy. Also, to clarify, I did not make this dress during my crappy week - it was completed 2 Fridays ago!


Remember this one? I showed it to you sans buttons awhile ago. Well, Mom dug through her button tin and found exactly 4 of these chunky plastic buttons, which I like with the casual feel of the cotton yarn.


I definitely liked the suggestion to put one button at the top and let the rest of the front hang open, but we live in Buffalo, and you all know what that means come winter, right? Plus we live in an Old House, which means drafts-a-plenty, so Daughter's sweaters need to button all the way down.


This was finished up while we watched today's morning PBS lineup. Daughter caught whatever bug Hubs was suffering from last week, so she mostly played listlessly with her toys or sat next to me on the couch. She has that pathetic little cough and her voice is all snotty sounding - you know. Anyway, I chugged through the second sleeve while we sat there in our PJs, then sewed the buttons on really quick so she could try it on before her nap. It's perfect on her, and she will be wearing it for the rest of the day as it's about 48 degrees outside. Yikes! I guess it will get a hand-wash and blocking tonight after she's in bed. (Edited to add: Holy moly, I just checked the weather channel and it is actually 41, but feels like 33 outside...it's supposed to snow tonight! Good thing I got this finished up!)


Closeup of the buttons - love! Guess where I got 'em. Go on, guess. Yep, WalMart. I swear I hate that store so much, but darned if they don't sometimes have exactly what I need.

This sweater is exactly the same as the yellow cotton one: Knitting Pure and Simple top-down raglan cardigan, 18-month size. Same modifications (seed stitch for the bands). I really love this pattern, but it fits her so perfectly right now that I'm afraid to make any more in this size. I'll have to head to the yarn shop for the next size up, so I can work on next year's wardrobe. Yeah, I could probably sit down and do the math to figure out the bigger sizes, but meh - why do that when the designer already did it for me? It's worth the 4 bucks.

It's knitted from Ella Rae Classic worsted weight yarn, which I bought in a moment of weakness a couple weeks ago. I have been wanting to make something the exact color of Daughter's eyes, and this stormy blue-gray is perfect. I shouldn't be buying yarn, but I couldn't resist. I used my Denise needles for this sweater, in US 7 and 8, except for the sleeves, for which I used bamboo dpns in US 7 and 8.

Whew. That was a nice break...now it's back to the applique. Only 2 leaves left to go!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

I am still in awe that you get so much done! BTW: Did you see the pic I took for you? It was in my last post

Jenn said...

Cute sweaters!

Unknown said...

Love love love that blue sweater! And the contrasting facing in the jumper . . . pure genius. I'm trying that with the next one I make.

R said...

I really like your choice of buttons on the blue sweater - where do you buy them?