Friday, September 22, 2006

mr. rogers hat

I'm so glad you liked those blogs I wrote about the other day. Their lives look so pretty, don't you think? It's like reading Better Homes & Gardens magazine. You know there are dirty dishes in the sink and bills stacked up on the counters, but they hide it well, don't they?

On my own home front, we're officially into that early fall weather pattern where it's 70 during the day but in the 40s at night. It occurred to me yesterday that all of Daughter's hats from last year will most likely be too small to fit her this winter. So of course, I had to rectify the situation.


There she goes...


Well, that's a little better...

Sorry, neither of those is remotely clear. The child does not stop moving long enough to get a photo these days. We spent so much time encouraging her to walk and now we can't get her to sit down.

Anyway, it's a basic hat, knitted in the round. The specs:
Yarn: Sensations Bellezza Collection "Tesoro" in cream (100% wool), 1 ball + a few yards of another ball
Needles: US 7 circular and dpns
Pattern: My own - cast on 88 stitches, join, knit. I decreased based on how it looked on her head. Nothing too sophisticated about it.

I still have to weave the ends in, but she won't take it off. I can't blame her - this is some of the softest yarn I've ever worked with.

I call it the Mr. Rogers hat because I cast on yesterday during Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and finished today while watching it again. Yes, I am a fool for nostalgia and I make my kid watch Mr. Rogers with me on a daily basis. I love that man.

I've been sewing like a nut (paid projects) and will be back to show you all of it in a few days. Have a nice weekend!

...it's such a good feeling, to know you're alive
it's such a happy feeling, you're growing inside
and when you wake up ready to say, "I think I'll make a snappy new day"
it's such a good feeling, a very good feeling, the feeling you know
that I'll be back, when the day is new
and I'll have more ideas for you
and you'll have things you'll want to talk about
I will too...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That hat is cuteness!! Especially with the little purple footy jammies.

Pam said...

All of a sudden I feel like putting on my slip on shoes and a knit cardigan...

won't you be my neighbor.

Love the hat and I love it even more that she loves it so much she won't take it off. Totally makes the work worthwhile when your kids love the end result that much!

Enjoy the fall weather!

Jenn said...

Love me some Mr. Rogers. Thanks for the song - what a good reminder of how we can start our days! :)

R said...

You make your daughter watch Mr. Rogers with you, too!!!??? That's awesome! I *PURPOSELY* don't put SweetPea down for a nap until Mr. Rogers is over! I want her to know that man. :)

tam said...

I am so gonna make us some "cutey patootey" Mr. Rogers hats!

I loved that!

Made one similar for my youngest boy when he was but still preemie size...he will turn 3 in 2 weeks and it now fits him properly!

Thanks for the "show and tell"!