Thursday, April 10, 2008

she knits!

Check it out...for the first time in, what, 3 months? Knitting makes an appearance on this blog!



Yes, I still do play with sticks and string. I don't know what my problem has been, but ever since I finished Killeany, I haven't felt any urge to knit. I've tried, but every time I've picked up a project it's felt wrong in my hands. I couldn't get into a rhythm and kept tossing things aside. Sewing has captured my attention more than knitting, so I gave in and did that instead.

But for some reason, now that spring is springing, I have this insane urge to knit stuff. I know, it makes no sense. Warm weather ahead** - get out the wool! Weird.

What you see above are 3 of the 6 or so projects that are started and in various states of completion (in addition are a shawl I started a year ago, and two socks). The large blue rectangle is a baby blanket for a wee boy soon to make his appearance. The girl who cuts my hair is expecting in about 6 or 7 weeks. She is a friend and also my former boss's daughter, so I felt compelled to make her something. The blue sweater is also for her baby, and is just the Knitting Pure and Simple top down cardigan in a 12-month size. I like to make slightly larger items for baby gifts because I figure people will always get lots of teeny clothes, but then have nothing for when the babe is growing. Also, since he is to be born in May, he won't need wool sweaters until next winter, so it makes sense to do a larger size. The blanket is about halfway done, and the sweater just needs sleeves.

The purple bit there is a sleeve. There's a small backstory here: last week when it was still mighty cold here, I told Daughter she needed to put a sweater on because it was freezing in the house. She never wants to wear a sweater, but I told her she could pick out whatever sweater she wanted from her drawer. She liked that idea, and to my amazement she chose Killeany. She has worn that sweater exactly ONCE since I finished it, and it has kind of broken my heart that every time I pull it out and suggest it she tells me she won't wear it. But lo! She chose it herself and I was tickled.

She then went on to tell me how beautiful it is and how much she loves it, but could I make her a purple sweater now?

I actually had some purple yarn set aside to do just that, so I told her I'd be happy to. She happily trotted off to the dining room (where she knows the yarn is kept in a cabinet) and pulled out a dining chair. I asked her what she was doing and she said, while clambering up, "I'll sit here, Mommy, and watch you while you make my purple sweater!"

Bless her little heart.

So of course I had to start her purple sweater. Can anyone guess what pattern I'm using from that little bit of sleeve?

**For the record, it is supposed to snow here next week.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I was a little lacking in the knitting department there for a few weeks - but it's back with a vengeance! Thank goodness!