Thursday, December 14, 2006

knitting interlude

So, after all that complaining yesterday...my little girl went pee-pee on the potty! She woke up dry from her nap, so we toddled straight to the bathroom and she did it! Hey, it's a start.

Anyway, on to the crafts. I find that when in the midst of a crazy time, like perhaps the holidays, it sometimes helps to just stop and do something enjoyable. For the past 2 nights I've spent my TV vegging time knitting up a little scarf for Daughter. Oh man, I can't believe my baby is big enough to require a scarf.


Basically, this is to tie around the hood of her coat so it doesn't flop down. Or, when it's really cold and she needs her big poofy parka I can wrap it around her neck inside the coat for warmth.


The pinks are not quite so bright in real life. It's just so crazy sunny today I couldn't capture the colors properly.

Yarn: Patons Soy Wool Stripes in "natural geranium"
Needles: US size 9
Measurements: about 4" X 33.5" (unblocked)

This yarn is neat. I've never seen or heard of it but I was in a Michael's store the other day for something else altogether and it caught my eye. I really need to stay out of the yarn sections of those stores. Sheesh. Anyway, it's 70% wool and 30% soy, and 110 yards. The gauge info says you should get 4" with 17 stitches on a size 9 needle...that sounded good to me so that's what I did. I just knit seed stitch back and forth till the yarn ran out. Apparently this yarn felts (they had a little felted swatch hanging next to the yarn in the store) so I will have to be careful laundering the scarf. I may have to pick up more of this yarn in the other colorways at some point. It's really pretty, and feels very silky.

Well, the laundry isn't going to fold itself. And it's over 50 degrees (F) today - in December, in Buffalo, and oh my gosh someone call Al Gore! The globe, it is WARMING! - so Daughter and I should really get out for some fresh air. Or at the very least we should get to the supermarket so we don't starve. Have a great day, everyone.

4 comments:

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

oh yes the SWS felts!
it felts like crazy, so be careful.
i went to make a booga bag with it, felted for less than 5 minutes (where it usuall would take me 20-30)--and ended up with a purse maybe big enough to hold a cell phone.
So pretty though!!!

Pam said...

It's 60 degrees on our end of the world as well. Crazy, but we'll be enjoying it none the less:)

Unknown said...

VEEEEEEEEERY cute.

Glad you enjoying a warm day. :)

Ruth said...

Such a cute scarf! It looks great w/her coat, too. I wish I could get my kids to wear scarves. I can barely get my 12 year old to wear a HAT.

We're supposed to see 60 degrees here this weekend. That's just wrong.