Monday, January 23, 2012

tasty treat

I'm currently ensconced in my recliner, plugged into season 1 of Downton Abbey on Netflix. How did I miss this show last year?!? It is so, so, so good.

I just popped up today to make something tasty and filling for the kids' snacktime, and thought I'd share the recipe. These muffins are delicious, and loaded with oats so they kind of qualify as healthy!


Honey-Oatmeal Muffins

2/3 c milk
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 beaten egg
1/4 c honey

1 1/2 c oats (quick or old-fashioned, I use the latter)
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c raisins (I use currants)
1/2 c chopped nuts (I use walnuts, but these can be left out)
1/3 c firmly packed brown sugar
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Combine wet ingredients. Add to combined dry ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full (make your life easier, use the paper liners). Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.

These are so hearty and so delicious. Make sure your baking powder is fresh, because all those oats require a lot of lift. Otherwise the muffins will be heavy. The brown sugar/honey combination makes for a rich sweetness that isn't overwhelming. These are awesome while a bit warm, with butter or just plain, and still excellent the next morning for breakfast.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Staci said...

LOVE Downton. Nathaniel and I watched the whole first season over about four days. The second season episodes that have shown in the states are available in their entirety on pbs.org

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Downton Abbey is the best! I, like everyone else, am rooting for Matthew and Mary!

blogcommenting said...

souds tasty
dailylinkbuilding
blogcommenting