Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the 2007 summer collection begins

Daughter's first summer look for 2007 is runway-ready.


Ok, not entirely. The shirt needs a button, but we'll get to that in a minute.

The pattern is McCall's Stitch 'n Save #M5371, made in size 2. (Please make a note of the pattern number if you want to make this outfit. People are always asking me for the patterns I use and I always tell that information when I show a finished piece of clothing.)

The shirt is view B, and the pants are sort-of view D. The pattern calls for view D to have a few rows of trim on the cuff area of the pant, but I didn't want that as this fabric seems to speak for
itself. The fabrics are: solid cotton in "parchment" from Joann Fabrics (whatever was on sale over the weekend for $1.99), and Keepsake Calico called "apples and pears" (I think) from the calico wall at Joann's. It was a teeny splurge at $7.99/yard, but they were on sale for 30% off, so I went for it. I have to admit, I got this fabric because I saw it made into pants on Amanda's adorable baby girl and I HAD TO HAVE IT TOO.

I have several knee-jerk reactions I could share about this pattern, but I think I will wait to talk about it until I make another outfit. I have another one planned and ready to go, and now that I've been through the directions once I should be able to evaluate it more accurately. The first run-through of a pattern is always frought with difficulty for me because I tend to think I'm smarter than the pattern. I'm usually quite wrong about that. C'est la vie.

Anyway, the top is super easy but time consuming because it is a wrap top, self-faced (I think that is the correct term...?) and there's a lot of pinning involved.


The top buttons on the left, and snaps closed inside on the right. I think I bought some small clear plastic snaps last year. Do any of you know where I put them? Cause I sure don't, and now I can't even remember if I really bought them, or just held them in the store for a minute and then changed my mind.


The directions call for the front facing to be slip-stitched over the side seam allowance. Shyeah, right. I whipped out my edge-stitch foot and just zipped along the side from underarm to hem.

I will share one gripe about the pattern in relation to the shirt - nowhere does it tell you to trim the seams or clip the curves. Well, good luck getting anything wearable if you skip that step! Luckily I have enough experience to know I had to do that, but if a total beginner picked up this pattern they would be extremely frustrated trying to press out the armholes and neckline.


The pants. I love these pants. I want these pants for myself. Alas, I don't know if I could pull off the fruit look. If these look a little stumpy, that's because they're capri pants. But they could easily be made into full-length pants with the same pattern. There's a 2-inch hem allowance. Weird.

I know the fruits don't match up. I don't have the patience to line up my pattern pieces with individual motifs. These will be worn by a 2 year old. Who cares?

This was my first time making pants with a waistband. I always feared the waistband. Why? It is super easy! And it adds a really nice finished look.


The back of the pants are elasticized, for pull-on comfort. Also incredibly easy to do.


Now I just need to know which color button to put on the shirt. Please vote!

Knitting News

Aaaaaaaaaaaand,,,back to winter. I finished one front of Firth.


I really, really, really like knitting this pattern. It looks much more complicated than it really is, and that fairisle section is knit on size 9 needles, people. FAST. I changed my color selections after knitting and ripping and knitting and ripping and agonizing and knitting and ripping some more. My original color choices made the sweater look like it came from 1987 (too bright), so I switched them around until they made me happy.


I realize that hit of leaf green might not be everyone's cup of tea. But I adore that shade and cannot wear it, so I snuck it into this sweater for fun. As my Daughter would say, "I lllllllllllllove it!"

Weaving in all those ends is going to stinkety-stink, though.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Ok, so I absolutely love that sweater. You did such a good job on the pattern and the colors are perfect.

I vote for the blue button:) That pear fabric is fabulous. If you have any left over you ought to make her a quick sun hat out of it. You know, the kind with the big, floppy brim on it? Soooooo cute!

Jenn said...

I love those pants! And Firth looks good. Not as good as Colin Firth, but good.......

Unknown said...

Oh my word. I want that pants fabric!!!! You found that at JoAnn's? The whole outfit is fantastic. And I vote for the blue buttons.

Paula said...

I vote for the blue buttons! I just love the little outfit. She could have so many tops to go with those wonderful pants! How fun! She is so lucky to have a Mom like you! You go girl!

Ruth said...

I llllllove Firth, too. Especially the shot of lime green.

I vote blue buttons for Daughter's new outfit (great material for the pants).

Sherry said...

I've been a lurker on your blog for a little while now, but that outfit you made for your daughter yanked me out. That is so adorable. and the sweater! You are so incredibly talented. I love it.