Saturday, July 08, 2006

somebody stop me...

Help me...I can't stop making cute outfits...

So I was wrong! The shorts I made the other day are totally fixable! Thank goodness when I pitched them I only put them into the little garbage bag I keep next to my sewing table. Turns out the seam I frigged up was the side seam, not the (reinforced with double stitching) crotch seam. I merely had to spend an irritating half hour with the seam ripper, picking out the 4 incorrect seams.

The problem is, I have no visualization skills. I cannot - can not - visualize how pants and/or shorts come together. So I have to really take my time and think carefully about what gets pinned where and how the seams should be sewn. Last night I took another crack at it and sat studying the
pattern diagrams and the cut pieces for a loooooooooong time, trying to understand where I went wrong the day before. And it finally clicked. I know I sound so moronic, but I really struggle with this! I'm glad I did it though, because I rescued those other two pairs and now Daughter's summer wardrobe will be complete. I didn't finish re-stitching them yet (no time, no time) but I got this outfit done:



The color is much richer in real life. My camera sucks.

Pattern: It's so easy it's Simplicity #4142 (size A, 1/2-4)
Size: 1/2
Fabric: Calico from Joann Fabrics big wall o' stuff

This pattern is awesome. And cheapy-cheap at Walmarteroonie. I think the whole thing, from cutting to sewing to finishing, took about 2 hours. I broke out the serger for this one, so I didn't have to turn any hems twice, and it made things so very quick. My serger is really old and clunky, and only works when it wants to, so it's been banished to a trunk in the family room for ages, but today I guess it was in the mood to help me. Anyway, Daughter will wear this outfit for her Daddy's birthday party tomorrow. Sweet!


This is the other pair of shorts I made over last weekend:



Limey! She insisted on wearing the hat. By the way, this is what 90th percentile for height and 5th percentile for weight look like. Tall and skinny with chicken legs. It's no wonder she's only just now starting to walk.

2 comments:

Staci said...

That picture of your daughter is too cute - I love the green shorts. It's awesome that she WANTS to wear hats. She is SO skinny, though! Both my girls, through big and little phases, tended to be evenly proportional for height and weight stats. So even when my older one was 18th percentile for height and weight, people would come up and say "what a cute little chubby baby!" Sometimes I wanted to hit them. But mostly I just bit my tongue. I don't suppose you have to deal with that with your supermodel proportioned kid. You probably get more of the "do you FEED her?!" comments. Also obnoxious.

kate said...

Yes, people ask all the time if she eats. And she does. Like a lumberjack. At this point we're planning on her becoming a supermodel, making a bazillion dollars, and buying us an island where we can retire.