Monday, July 17, 2006

a little bit of everything

Did you watch the shuttle land this morning? Truly a cool sight. It's so scary until it actually comes to a stop on the runway.

In other current events, it's still flipping hot. I know it's hot almost everywhere in the US right now, but I'm still complaining. Just when I thought my hair couldn't be any bigger...poof!


We watched movies all weekend because it was too sticky to do anything else. Here are my reviews:

Syriana - I thought it was really boring. Much like another Clooney movie I didn't enjoy, Solaris, I
kept asking my husband what the story actually was. Like, is there a plot here? I like to be mostly entertained when I watch a movie, and this one was a little too documentary-like for me. Not that I mind educational movies, I just didn't like this one. I was so bored I went to bed with 1/2 hour to go. My husband claims it made sense in the end but meh, whatever. I didn't need to see George Clooney all fat and getting his fingernails pulled out. Gross.

Failure to Launch - I didn't want to watch this one because I don't like anyone who was in it, really.
But it surprised me with excellent dialogue. Very witty and funny, if somewhat (ok, totally) predictable. My husband liked it too, so it's not necessarily a chick flick or anything. Nice and fluffy for summer viewing.

Benchwarmers - freaking HILARIOUS. I laughed my butt off. The combination of David Spade, Jon Heder, and Rob Schneider was totally priceless here. I like Rob Schneider playing it straight for a change, and even though this was a lowbrow, screwball comedy, it had a totally feel-good
message and was extremely entertaining. Maybe it's just because it was so hot my brain was melting, but man, did I enjoy this movie.

Other than that, we didn't do much over the weekend. On Sunday morning Daughter and I zipped out to Joann Fabrics to check out the big coupon sale. I thought there would be more people there but I guess they were all hiding from the heat. We went early, before the mercury hit 90, and got
some great stuff. The thing is I always end up with extra coupons because they put everything on sale, so you don't actually need the coupons. Anyway, we went with the intent of picking out winter fabrics to make little flannel pants and corduroys, but of course here is what happened instead:



The only "winter" fabric we got is the pink flannel on the left. The rest is cotton or cotton/poly for next summer's wardrobe. I think I got enough (around 1.5 yards of each) to sew for both girls. No matter, it was so cheap (like $2.39/yard!) I will do what I can with it. I used my notions coupons to get matching limey green and yellow thread, which my darling child proceeded to chew on in her stroller where I couldn't see what she was doing. Eew. Many apologies to the cashier ensued.

The afternoons and evenings have been spent camped out in front of the air conditioner (isn't that the case for most of us?), working on the baby dress. Our little AC unit is just powerful enough to allow me to knit. I finished all of the actual knitting (read: the fun part) last night:



Of course, it is not yet blocked, nor are the eleventy-billion ends woven in. So please don't mind the curling hems and stuff - that will all be fixed.

This is a better preview of what it will look like when finished:



Cute, huh? It looks so small right now (the pattern says it's 6-month size) and it's hard to believe it will actually be too big for several months.

What to make next? I have started the baby's quilt (8 blocks, whoopee) but it's too hot to sit in the dining room and sew right now. The wee one will need a small bunting/snowsuit as we didn't have (or need) one for Daughter - the smallest we have is 6-9 months. So I guess I'll be breaking out the wool and some patterns and swatching for that.

Now, what's a pregnant woman to do with a whiny 15 month old on a 90 degree day? I'm open to suggestions...

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Well, later in the evening, I would sugest her pool... but not while it is still SO hot. I know what you mean about baby clothes, anything your baby has outgrown looks SO SMALL, and anything she hasn't grown into yet looks GIGANTIC.

Jenn said...

Cute dress!

Anonymous said...

Baby pool in the shade? Or turn the bathtub into a temporary pool, that way you don't have to go outside...

Erin said...

Make jello. Set up a sprinkler, and run through it. Sit in the pool. I like the bathtub idea-they can wear their swimsuit and sunglasses and bring toys.