Sunday, July 09, 2006

sigh

I'm kind of down today.

It's my dad's birthday, which is neato. That's not the downer part.

Tomorrow is Hub's 30th birthday. A few days ago we decided we'd have his parents, bro, and bro's girlfriend over for a little cookout type of thing, with hot dogs, burgers, salads, etc., and an ice cream cake (Hub's favorite which we always have for his bday). So I went to the supermarket on Friday and got all kinds of grillable meats and whatnot, fresh rolls, blah blah blah, and we invited everyone for tonight (Sunday).

Hub's mom was all weird and listless on the phone when we called but said they would be here. Apparently she has to have some kind of female-parts test done tomorrow and she's nervous about it. I can't describe what hypochondriacs my in-laws are, or how many events they have ruined with their crying wolf and histrionics. So when Hub said his mom wasn't feeling well the other night, I jokingly said, "watch, they won't even come on Sunday."

This morning I got up and dragged my huge pregnant self around the house for hours, scrubbing and mopping and vacuuming and dusting. I finally got in the shower at 3 pm so I could be presentable and also so I could run out and pick up the ice cream cake. When I got out of the shower Hub asked, "so what's your dad doing today?" And I said I didn't know, I should really call him. Then Hub suggested maybe we should go see him for his birthday. I asked what he was talking about...people were coming to our house in 3 hours..............

You can see where this is going, can't you?

Yep, while I was in the shower the in-laws called and said they weren't coming. And since Daughter was safely tucked away for a nap, I let loose some 4-letter words. My mother-in-law couldn't manage to come to her son's 30th birthday party, wear a smile for an hour, eat some cake, and go home. Because she has to have some sort of test done tomorrow. Her doctor doesn't even think there's anything actually wrong with her, it's just a simple test. So I worked all day to make a nice birthday party for my husband, and it was a waste of time. We called his bro and told him not to bother coming over, since we'll have to make up the party at a later time anyway.

Sigh.

At least the house is clean. And tomorrow, Daughter and I will go to the ice cream place that makes the really good cakes and get one, because darn it, it's still his birthday and we love him. And he should have a cake.

Stay tuned for the final items of Daughter's summer wardrobe tomorrow...I sewed like a maniac on Saturday night before packing up all my stuff for the party we were supposed to have...

3 comments:

Ruth said...

aw, Kate, I'm sorry. Family are really hard to understand, sometimes.

Happy birthday to your Dad, and the same to DH ... get him the biggest, gooiest cake you can find tomorrow, and celebrate, celebrate, celebrate.

And I hope everything works out well for your MIL.

"Grandi" said...

I think I would have had bro and girlfriend over anyway! All your hard work would have been rewarded by folks who love you and your husband, and you probably would have had a lot more fun than you did!! For her to do that was selfish, but you already know that about her. Next time, wish her well, tell her you will miss her and have the party anyway. Once you take away her ability to control you and make you feel guilty with her ailments, you will take the control back - and lose the guilt!!

Mary Heather said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog through another blog..you know how that goes. :-) That story is really awful and would totally have made me furious too, esp. after all of your hard work! I hope that your husband had a great birthday anyway.

July 9 is my dad's birthday too!!!