Tuesday, August 26, 2008

let's talk about something else

Maybe if we ignore him, he'll get upset and come out!

Let's talk about knitting instead of babies, yes? (Or at least knitting for babies...)


Just a few things...


Baby's blanket has been done since the night my boyfriend Michael Phelps won his 8th and final gold medal. I was working on the border as the race took place and dude, did I ever knit fast watching that. Yowza!


Here's a closeup of the pattern. I really love it - and it's a good thing, because it's a large project and takes a loooooong time to knit for some reason. I made the same blanket for Daughter in a sage green, so now they're matchy-matchy.

The yarn is just some Caron acrylic (not the cheesy soft stuff, but more akin to Red Heart...can't think of the name just now). It was tough on my hands, but I do like acrylic for the baby blankets that will get washed and used a lot. Holds up really well...Daughter's still looks just about as good as it did when it was first made. And after washing, it is surprisingly soft and drapes beautifully. I used US size 9 and 10.5 needles, and the pattern is from a Leisure Arts book called "Beautiful Baby."


My latest knitting obsession is this new yarn from Red Heart - Heart & Sole sock yarn. This is the best product I've ever used from Red Heart. It has actual wool content! I originally bought the bright yarn you see made up into the socks on the left (colorway: "spring stripe") to put in my hospital bag when I thought I was having a c-section. When baby turned, I figured I'd race him to the finish and see if I could just get the socks done for Daughter. Hmmmm. No problem there.

Then, because I liked working with the yarn so much AND because I had a coupon, I went back to AC Moore and got another skein (colorway: "toasted almond"). I found out all the colors don't stripe the same, so these socks are fraternal. Got those done over the weekend.

And today, I simply couldn't help myself. I stopped once again at AC Moore and picked up two more colorways: "congo" on the left in the photo, and "rustica" on the right.

Hey, you can't beat it for quality, inexpensive, entertaining knitting! One skein costs me $2.60 if I use a 40% off coupon, and I get both a pair of warm winter socks for Daughter AND several hours of knitting fun. And it is a good yarn, people. Washes up fantastically well. I can't wait for cool weather so Daughter can start wearing these.

They are knit up on US size 2 needles over 48 stitches.


A simple top-down raglan cardigan sweater for baby boy. If home heating costs are truly going to be as high as they say this winter, we will all need to bundle up in some woolly warmth.

I'm also trying out a new yarn - this is Caron Country, a wool/acrylic blend. It comes in stunning colors and is almost unbearably soft. This is the charcoal colorway, which I chose because it was boyish and goes with most everything. I love the look and feel, but it's a bear to knit up. It is not tightly spun, so the plies split all over the place. I have to watch while I knit it, which stinks for a simple project like this. Usually I can knit one of these while I watch a movie, read blogs, or whatever. Not so this time. Oh well, it is only a 6-month size so it is going quickly. I've just divided for the sleeves and will zoom through the body portion in the next day or so. If I have enough yarn I'll add a hood for extra warmth.

Let's see...can I finish it before he comes? That's a challenge, baby boy - you hear me??


Aaaaaaaaaand, because I seriously fell off the wagon with the yarn purchasing today, I had to grab a skein of the new colorway of Lion Fisherman's Wool. I have a bunch of skeins of the natural color, but now they have "nature's brown" and I luuuuuuuurve it. I will use this one skein to make a top-down cardigan for Daughter, and if I like it I will get 3 or 4 more to make a cardi for myself. Not, like, immediately - I know my knitting time will be tragically cut short until at least Christmastime once baby comes - but it's nice to have some simple projects planned out. I picture these sweaters with either leather buttons or wooden toggle buttons. Classic, hearty, and warm.

Well, now my back hurts and my stomach is growling, so I'm going to make several attempts to stand up from the couch and go get a snack. And just a wee bit of baby info for you: as of this morning's bpp, he is still head-down, still shoving his feet up into my ribs, and still adorable. Oh, and still INSIDE. Arrgh. :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love the colors of all that yarn! Makes me wish it would snow tomorrow....well, not really:) But a little cooler weather wouldn't hurt.

Unknown said...

Nice stuff! If you're going to fall off the wagon, go all the way!

Can't wait to see what you produce from the new stuff. And what you produce from your belly.