Wednesday, August 09, 2006

it gave me a terrible backache, but it's so worth it

As the weather has been, in my opinion, absolutely perfect for the last few days, stuff has actually been accomplished around here. No, the house is not clean! Don't be silly! I was talking about sewing and knitting!

The bambina's quilt (top):


I was going for a sweet, vintage look. Like something you might see in a room with a white wicker or iron bed and distressed furniture. I think it's finished (other than the quilting and binding of course) but I'm not sure. Right now it's 54" square, and I have lots of blocks left so I could tack on a couple more rows and make it a rectangle. I don't feel too moved to do that, though. I also don't think I want borders - my original plan, if you can even call it a plan, was to just take the blocks to the edges and bind it, which you see on many antique quilts (probably because they had only scraps left to make quilt tops and not enough of any one fabric for a border). Besides, this is pretty busy and I don't even know what I would use for a border.

Another angle, just for kicks:


Now it's on to my least favorite part of quilting - the actual quilting itself. Bleh. I am lucky to have a very good sewing machine with a very good walking foot, so that helps, but I really dislike the pinning and the marking and the shoving of the quilt through the machine bed and all that. My reward at the end is the binding - that I love. I know, I'm so weird. I just like the hand-finishing process. It gives the project such nice closure.

Here is a happy thing: all of the fabrics (except the muslin) are stash fabrics, so this quilt did not cost much to make at all. Hooray! Here's to using stuff up! I bought 200-count muslin* at Joann for background at $2.99/yard, but of course I used my coupon, so I think I spent a whopping 5 bucks or something. Awe. Some. And I have mucho batting stored up from my days of working at a quilt shop, so no cost there either. Sometimes I amaze myself with the thriftiness.

With days of 70s (and low, low humidity) and nights of 50s, knitting is back ON. I don't have photos for you today - gotta leave something for tomorrow - but I've been cooking along on some projects. Stay tuned.

*If you're going to use muslin, buy the 200-count. Don't bother with the cheap stuff, it is loosely woven and WILL fall apart. Ask me how I know this. Trust me and splurge - spend the extra $1 per yard!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the quilt. I, too, am drawn to the more simple patterns. Can't wait to see it all finished. It's gorgeous.

Ruth said...

Oh, it's beautiful! What are you going to use to bind it?

(p.s. did you ever get my email about the fabric I want to send you?)

Jenn said...

It looks great!

Beyonce Velez said...

Beyonce , I just wanted to share my experience. I had a trampoline when I was growing up. First day we set it up I was 12 years old. I jumped on it for 4 hours straight. I had pain in my low back and both legs for over a month. I had to take it easy and eventually the pain went away. Fast forward to age 19. I was jumping on a trampoline, doing flips, seats, all kinds of tricks during a contest with my brother and cousins. We were all trying to outdo each other on a series of tricks. I never fell off of the trampoline. However, I did a front flip with some good height to it and purposely did not land on my feet (because, that's the trick we were supposed to do...flip into seat position and then a series of other tricks). Okay, so I landed very close to the springs...still on the tarp, but there was much less give/bounce. I immediately had severe low back pain and I had to stop jumping. I rested for 20 minutes, the pain had subsided and then I got right back on the trampoline and did the exact same thing!!! The second time I hit close to the springs the pain was double. I hurt so bad I felt like I needed to run for a few minutes. Advil later, but my back hurt so bad for a good solid week. I returned to college and a couple months later I was still noticing pain when bending down to pick up my books, or eventually at the sink while slightly bending to wash my face. brush teeth, etc. I was involved in a swing dance class at the time and my dance partner and I were practicing flips and tricks on the dance floor, etc. The end of the night, I had the most severe back pain I have ever felt. It never went away. I eventually had surgery, micro laminectomy and microdiscectomy. Fixed the constant pain, but created far worse, intermittent pain. I can't stand for long periods of time, jumping, running, or anything jarring hurts my back, etc. I tell you this story because I know I probably compressed and injured my disc on the trampoline and then my active lifestyle didn't allow the proper rest that it needed to heal (and they take a very long time to heal as they now know...back then they told me surgery was the only fix since a year of conservative therapy wasn't working). I will never own a trampoline again and my kids keep begging me for one. Trust me, a short time of fun and lead to a lifetime of pain and limitations. I am 36 now and I wake up in pain daily and nothing ever shows up on the scans, etc. The doctor's best guess is scar tissue pressing on the spinal nerves. I know the trampolines are fun, but I wish I had never jumped on one now.I Came across an article here on line about Doctor James curing people of Herpes, Cancer,HIV,Diabetes.I picked up interest to reach him on his [Email@drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com] just to try.and i told him my problem of backache.he said he's going to help me with his powerful herbal mixed medicine.but i should pay money for him to prepare the medicine for me and i did send him the money two days later he prepared the medicine and sent to me through DHl courier service.it got to me in 5 days time.and i started drinking the medicine morning and evening for 15 days as he prescribed for as i was drinking it my pain was all gradually going away.till 14 days i was totally free from all the pains all over my body.it was like a miracle to me after so many years living with this pain all over me..thanks to Dr James.Use his herbal medicine and get rid of  your backache and pains away.Email him on Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com What's APP or call him on Mobile@+2348152855846Thank me later