Monday, April 16, 2007

the meaning of life...or something

Yeah, so I haven't been posting. I'm not sure where I want to go with the blogging thing just now. It has started to feel vaguely like a chore...think of something to write about. Take photos. Upload photos to PC. Edit photos. Upload photos to Blogger. Train for, run, and recover from a marathon while waiting for Blogger to upload 4 or 5 measly photos. Write stuff. Lose all "free time" (aka naptime) from my day.

In the past week and a half or so I have put the computer away. It has been quite liberating, really, to discover that I had a very serious internet addiction. After a loooooong, dark winter of living vicariously through others, I am enjoying not looking at this screen.

Interestingly, my house is clean. My chores are pretty much done (ok, except for the ironing because holy heck, I hate to iron). Generally speaking, I'm just doing more and sitting on my butt a lot less.

Each morning our Daughter wakes us with some seriously LOUD singing from her crib. She belts the Sesame Street theme song, Rubber Duckie, the Chiquita Banana song, and several others. When I go in to get her, she stands up and says, "HI mommy! What do today mommy? Issa booful day!"

It could be sleeting and freezing outside with no chance of sunshine, and yet my baby-who-is-no-longer-a-baby still tells me it's a beautiful day. To her, every day is beautiful, and I have to capture that and hold it close while I can. She turns 2 on Thursday. It won't be long before she stops asking me "what do today?" It won't be long before she stops looking at every day as a "booful" one.

I owe her my time, all that I can give. This is what we gave up extra money, nice cars, and a nicer house for...so I can be with her completely. And that means putting down this dang computer unless I need to check the weather or something.

So I don't know what that means for blogging. I started blogging because quite frankly, I was lonely sitting in my house all day with a 6-month old infant and no one to talk to. Now I have a 2 year old toddler who does nothing but talk my ear off, and it's grand. I'm afraid talking to her and more importantly, listening to her rank higher than showing you my latest projects. I'm not sure if it's quittin' time, or just break time. We'll see what happens.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Oh please not quitting time! (I say selfishly) I would miss you tons!

I absolutely adore that morning greeting.

Staci said...

I'm there lately too. With moving and all, there's just no time to blog, and I'm not feeling motivated to do it in the rare bits of time I have (like right now... instead of posting about me, I felt like checking in on others). For me, I'm not quitting. Just slowing down and blogging when I think of something interesting to say. I'm confident I'll get my motivation back soon. Okay, not confident, but it's at least likely.

You gotta do what's best for you and the kid. She's WAY more important than us :).

Ruth said...

You need to do what works for you, but I will selfishly say that I hope it's break time rather than quitting time. I would miss you.

Daughter is at a wonderful age right now. Happy birthday to your beautiful girl!